- Bates, R.M. and A. J. Bicksler. 2017. Moringa oleifera as a Model System for Undergraduate Research. Acta Hort. (in press).
- Tobin, D., R. Bates, M. Brennan and T. Gill. 2016. Peru Potato Potential: Biodiversity Conservation and Value Chain Development. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, pg. 1-14.
- Bicksler, A J, R.M. Bates, and R.R. Burnette. 2015. The Current and Future Roles of the Small Farm Resource Center in Horticulture Extension and Advisory Services: Lessons Learned from Seven Case Studies in SE Asia. Acta Hort. (in press)
- Chien-Chih Chen, R.M. Bates and J Carlson. 2014. Effect of environmental and cultural conditions in medium pH and plant growth performance of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) shoot culture. F1000 http://f1000research.com/articles/3-298/v1
- Bates, R.M., T. Gill, A. Bicksler, L. Meitzner Yoder, R. Burnette and V. Ricciardi. 2013. Designing Strategies and Systems to Identify, Preserve and Promote Underutilized Indigenous Crop Species. Acta Hort. 979:569-576.
- Hoover, B.J. and R.M. Bates. 2013. Susceptibility of Fraser, Canaan, and Nordmann Fir to Root Rot Incited by Phytophthora cactorum and Phytophthora drechsleri. HortTechnology 23 (1):44-50.
- Gill, T. B., R.M. Bates, A. Bicksler, R. Burnette, V. Ricciardi, and L.Yoder. 2013. Strengthening informal seed systems to enhance food security in Southeast Asia. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development. http://dx.doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2013.033.005.
- Bates, R.M., Bicksler, A., R. Burnette, T. Gill, V. Ricciardi, and Y. Srigiofun. 2012. Methodologies for strengthening informal indigenous vegetable seed systems in northern Thailand and Cambodia. Acta Hort. 958:67-74.
- Hoover, B.J., and R.M. Bates. 2012. Fungicide Efficacy in Prevention of Root Rot Incited by Phytophthora cactorum and Phytophthora drechsleri in Fraser Fir Seedlings. HortTechnology 22 (4):470-475.